Please see the following link for the status and financial position of the Wissahickon Mills Foundation (WMF) as of March 31, 2023. The report includes an update about the repair of the Creek retaining wall: The Wissahickon Mills Foundation 2022 & 2023 Major Goals (philacanoe.org)
After the March report was prepared, WMF received a generous donation of $25,000 from Paul Liebman, a past Commodore & Lifetime PCC Member, to be used to finance the Inspection of the Mill and a memorial to the good works of Anne and Jack Burnard (Stewards in the late 1960s and 1970s). The remainder of the donation will fund repairs to the Mill after the preservation priorities are established. J&M Preservation Studios will lead the inspection and kick off at the end of May.
We have had dialogues with the Pennsylvania State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO) about the history of the Mill and PCC. Registration in the National Register of Historic Places is a two-step process; the first step requires that SHPO approve “eligibility.” SHPO explained, “…it may be possible to develop a case for individual significance for the Club’s association with Recreation on the Schuylkill River."
There is a possibility that the Mill itself can be found to be eligible. On a parallel course, we are looking now for a member to lead the charge to achieve PCC’s National Historic Registration in the "Recreation” category. PCC would then join all the clubs in the Schuylkill Navy and the Washington Canoe Club and have its history and stewardship of the property enshrined in the National Register of Historic Places.
Recently, new information about the age of the Mill was found in the City Archives, and we are working on having local historians complete a review of the documentation. The current version of the history of the Mill can be read here: Robeson Rolling Mill - Philadelphia Canoe Club.pdf (philacanoe.org) See also: 1822 Robeson Mills Water Levels and Waterpower Measurments.pdf (philacanoe.org) or a short history/Roxborough Manayunk Wissahickon Historical Society presentation: Presentation to RMWHS Robeson Rolling Mill History
How to Contribute a Tax Deductible Donation
Use the form below to donate. Enter comments in the donation form to direct your contribution to building repairs or education.
To Learn more about the Wissahickon Mills Foundation's tax-exempt status, see the GuideStar directory: The Wissahickon Mills Foundation - GuideStar Profile. Our tax ID is 88-2996144. For more information: Contact Griffin Affel at (215) 260-9900, Jere Downs at (502) 376-2352.
Checks appreciated (this eliminates transaction fees) and can be made payable to the Wissahickon Mills Foundation. Send to PCC's address, 4900 Ridge, Phila. Pa., 19128-3805, or to the Treasurer: Griffin Affel, 439 Montier Rd., Glenside, Pa., 19038-3325
ROBESON ROLLING MILL HISTORY - A SPECIAL PLACE - The PCC clubhouse is the sole mill remaining in Fairmount Park, where once stood more than 40 mills. In 1963, the Philadelphia Historical Commission registered the structure as built circa 1700, known at that time as the “Roxboro Mill.” Learn more: Robeson Rolling Mill - Philadelphia Canoe Club.pdf (philacanoe.org). Pictures: Robeson Rolling Mill as the Phila Canoe Club Clubhouse.pdf.
Please Donate Using this Form: